Saturday, November 12, 2011

First Dune Trip


As long as I can remember, I've been excited for the day when I could take my family camping, particularly to the dunes. I was careful to make sure whoever I married shared this dream. Candace loves to camp and as a young girl she regularly went to the dunes but its been 20 years or so since her last trip. Its only been 3 years, however, since I surprised her with a ride home from our wedding reception in a yellow dune buggy (thanks Peter Ray).



Fast forward to the present...and we finally had our first dune trip. We've been wanting to go for a while, but since an enclosed trailer or RV is sort of required when bringing a wife and baby (and we don't have either), we haven't been able to go. Luckily, we had the chance to go with some families from church that have RVs to sleep in and keep us out of the cold.

Friday was windy and rainy. Saturday morning was cold and clear.

This picture is funny to me because mother and son are making the same face.

Candace and I were concerned with how Roo would do in the cold and with all the noise from the atvs and dirtbikes. He LOVED exploring and playing in the sand. As always, he slept like a champ and kept us entertained.

Candace was eager to show what she could do on the quad.

RooBear wants a ride.


And, here's Mama hitting the trails.

I had fun riding the quad and offroading my truck. A few times, Candace drove the quad and I followed with Reed in the truck. Good thing I brought a shovel with me, because I did get stuck in the sand a few times and had to dig myself out.



One of the families had a sand car/dune buggy and offered to tour the dunes with Candace and Reed while I rode the quad. Despite the loud noises and bumpy ride through the dunes, Reed FELL ASLEEP!!!
Haha! We let him sit there and sleep for over an hour once we returned to camp. What a good boy.
The weather turned out to be great and everybody stayed safe. The families we went with were so nice to share their stuff with us.

RooBear can't wait until our next trip. Me neither.

Here's some footage of what makes the dunes so fun. Its like a roller coaster except you can control where you want to go:

2 comments:

Jenny said...

i loved when you left your wedding in a dunebuggy! looks like a fun family weekend.

Tim and Jennifer said...

Sooo cute. I love all of it. Except the video looks scary! I can't believe Reed fell asleep!