Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cheese Crisp Makes Me Happy

You know that feeling when you have SO much to do that you become overwhelmed and end up doing none of it?  Well, for me that is our blog.  So much has happened over the last 6 months that I don't know where to start writing here and ultimately I don't.  Instagram has replaced our blog and Facebook as mine and Candace's way of sharing our daily lives, however, it doesn't allow for the depth and story behind the images that the blog provides.  So with that, I'm just going to write!



2012 was a roller coaster that brought us incredible blessings, trials, and tears.  We saw my brother Taylor off on his mission to Chile.  He is doing great.  I love his Monday emails, his upbeat attitude and the memories that come to mind of my mission in Campinas, Brazil.  Growing up Taylor was everyone's favorite.  Nothing has changed!

 

My Mom is continuing to blow everyone away with her faith and determination as she recovers from the effects of her stroke in September.  My Mom spent 2 months being cared for in Buenos Aires while my Dad attended to the mission some 10 hours away.  Difficult. They came home to Chandler during December and January at the doctors' request to rehabilitate.  They chose to go back to the mission as soon as possible and left in early February.  Mom is supposed to take things slowly and not overwork herself (which "used to be" a bad habit of hers).  It was hard to see them go to Argentina a second time.  The part that brought relief was knowing its what they wanted and how badly those missionaries need and love my parents.  Mom is playing the piano again and spoiling the Elders and Sisters with her baked goodies.



 Through this trial I've come to many realizations, mostly about how great my family is.  When my siblings could have complained they complimented.  When they could have chosen to be offended they chose to ask what more they could do.  When it seemed solutions, and answers, and blessings were few in number, their faith and strength proved resolute.  To Jen, Bub, Chris, and Taylor - you guys are great examples to your older brother.


 



2012 brought the loss of 2 friends.  Andrea Lemmon, the wife of a MBA classmate, passed away unexpectedly leaving behind 3 cute girls and a husband I've always admired named Kyle.  I first met Kyle as a college freshman in 1998.  In December the brain cancer of a close friend, "Beav" Gary Sorensen, spread rapidly taking him from his wife Kayla and 2 young daughters.  Beav, like Kyle, is everyone's friend and always has something nice to say.  He became my mountain bike and fishing partner.  We drag raced our trucks, ate hot wings, went shooting, watched football, made visits together to people in our ward, and tended to our little ones together in the church halls hoping to avoid Sunday School.  Beav taught me a lot about loving everyone.  I hope my efforts to take care of his family are doing justice to the love I have for him.





2012 brought Candace and I our angel-baby-squishy-lovebug: CharlieSnuggles.  She is an even easier baby than Reed was!  People are amazed at her calm demeanor and plump, smiley cuteness.  At 8.5 months she has 2 bottom chompers, blue, blue eyes shaped like Candace's, a sandy blonde fuzzy head and cheeks that demand to be kissed.  I think she is as chubby as Reed was but on a smaller, feminine frame appropriate for our little girl.  She loves to be tickled, tossed, and twirled.  Candace enjoyed decorating a room for a girl and all the fun girl things that come along with having a daughter.

A younger Reed and a Charbug photo for comparison:







RooBear is my best lil friend.  If I can take him with me, he comes.  He's at a fun age of asking what everything is and making sentences of his own that sometimes include his feelings.  One day I was teaching him about the word "happy".  Later in the day for no reason Reed came to me and said "cheese crisp make Reed happy''.  We've been sick lately.  Reed said to Cbug in a sad voice: "Reed hab cough, Reed hab runny nose, Reed hab sick!".  He's such a good kid and plays well with others.  He especially loves to go to Papa's house and play with cousins "Nolie" and Kyle.  Reed loves to run and is fast.  Like Dad, he loves anything with wheels, playing with tools, and being outside.  He enjoys making Charlotte smile and giving her kisses and bear hugs.  Reed is a big snuggler.  Oh, and I have to mention he's constantly talking about temples.





Everything else is going pretty well.  I'm still mountain biking.  Cbug is buggin along.



While we take a lot of pictures, very few have the 4 of us in them.  Thanks to Candace's friend Gritt we have a nice one to end this post with.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Love the update and your cute little family! Reed's cheese crisp comment makes me laugh.

Shanell Farr said...

you guys are adorable! love the update! keep it coming :)

Chelsea said...

Great update! Love those kiddos.

I wish our blog got half the attention yours gets but, alas, it's forever on the "to do" list.

mom - Diane - Grandma :-) said...

Great post Curbo! Tell Reedy Roo that you and your beautiful family make Nana happy!!!