Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Heyman's Are Sooo Poor That...

A few months ago Cbug and I were asked to speak in church about Self Reliance. Candace did a wonderful job. During my talk, I shared a few personal stories. One in particular was about how my family was poor, yet obedient to the commandments during and after my dad's law school. When we first moved to Arizona we had an orange Ford Pinto with no air conditioning! 120 degree heat without a/c is not fun. The car looked like this:




I mentioned in my talk that because there was no a/c my mom gave us squirt bottles to keep ourselves cool in the Pinto. One day in Mesa, the car got so hot sitting in a grocery store parking lot that my Legos MELTED together in the back seat!

A week later one of my friends from church was stopped by a 6 year old in our ward who said "Have you heard about the Heyman's?"

My friend: "No, what about them?"

6 year old: "They are soooo poor that their Legos melt together!"

I guess she had been telling this to lots of people and was sincerely concerned with how poor we are! To further the ward rumor that we are extremely poor, I have now been bartering the fish I catch for fruit with neighbors. Last night I showed up at a ward member's door step with a fish and we came away with fresh strawberries! Not bad.


Can I pay my tuition with fish?

7 comments:

Candace Heyman said...

I still laugh about that. What a little sweetheart to be so concerned about us.

Tim and Jennifer said...

hahaha. Laughing and loving it all. So funny!

Jenny said...

what a funny kid. you know you gave a good talk when little kids actually get something out of it and are talking about it a week later

porter and karla said...

That is pretty funny! cute stories, now i just need to have porter read this he will get a kick out of it and the lego story:)

mom - Diane - Grandma :-) said...

Ahhhh the memories. :)

Shi and Family said...

I love kids! But more so than kids, I love that orange pinto!! That is HOT!!!

Shi and Family said...

Hey Candace, this has nothing to do with your blog, but I just wanted to let you know that Tim's Grandma past away this week. I know she taught you piano, so I just wanted you to know.